Assistant Accountant Description
An Assistant Accountant provides essential support to the finance team. They will report directly to an organisation’s Financial Accountant, Management Accountant or Finance Manager and deliver crucial day-to-day support, spanning the full mix of financial duties.
Key responsibilities can include preparation of financial statements and accounts, managing ledgers, forecasting and budgeting, plus preparation of quarterly VAT returns.
An Assistant Account can make a big impact on a business, improving profitability and contributing to future growth. The Assistant Accountant’s financial reports will help shape the recommendations made by the Management Accountant to the wider business.
Outlined below are a number of standard duties that this job role entails. Tailored job descriptions are prepared for each vacancy registered with Accountancy Recruit and specific responsibilities that relate to your business will be included.
The Assistant Account will have a wide range of accountabilities. These can include:
- Preparation of monthly management accounts
- Formation of year end statutory accounts
- Maintenance of sales invoices and reports
- Reconciliation, including posting and balancing
- Forecasting & budgeting, including variance analysis
- Year end audit analysis
- Utilisation of accounting software
- Preparation of reports on debtors and creditors
- Completion of quarterly VAT returns
- Maintaining all necessary records including invoices, expenses, payments and transactions
- Management of ledgers
- Accruals & prepayments
- Ensuring high quality reporting and robust processes are in place to support the team
- Providing general finance advice and assistance as required
The Ideal Candidate:
- Highly proficient in maths, with outstanding attention to detail and accuracy
- Demonstrable past experience in a similar Assistant Accountant Role
- Solid understanding of key accountancy principles and processes
- First-rate numerical skills, alongside excellent Excel skills
- Hard-working, proactive, with a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Strong inter-personal skills, being confident working with individuals across the team and wider business
- Part qualified with AAT, CIMA or ACCA