Financial Controller Job Description
A Financial Controller is a role of substantial responsibility and accountability. Reporting directly to the Managing Director, Financial Director or Chief Financial Officer, this position involves a broad spectrum of operational responsibilities and requires a wide range of knowledge and experience.
The Financial Controller is tasked with overseeing the extensive variety of duties undertaken by the finance department, including setting targets and supporting individual departments to create and maintain their budgets.
The role of Financial Controller is to maintain all financial systems, identifying areas that require improvement and implementing necessary changes to support business development.
Outlined below are a number of standard duties that this job role entails. Tailored job descriptions are prepared for each vacancy registered with Accountancy Recruit and specific responsibilities that relate to your business will be included.
A Financial Controller’s daily duties may include the following activities:
- Supervise the preparation of month end accounts and VAT returns
- Ensure the completion of bank and balance sheet reconciliations
- Budget analysis
- Managing the audit process and liaising with external personnel
- Oversee the preparation of year end statutory accounts
- Managing, mentoring and motivating the accounts team
- Budgeting & forecasting
- Contributing to company financial strategy and decision making process
- Undertaking financial analysis and reporting
- Ensuring robust financial systems and processes are in place
- Overseeing tax and compliance
- Developing forecasting models (P&L, Balance Sheet and Cash Flow)
The Ideal Candidate:
- Excellent communicator, with both internal and external colleagues at all levels
- Hard-working, efficient and motivated by results
- Ability to analyse and make recommendations, alongside the capacity to drive through key business changes
- Strong business acumen and understanding of financial issues
- Qualified and highly experienced in a similar role